Freeport Mennonite Church was founded in 1845 by Martin and Samuel Lapp, who came from Clarence Center, NY. Joseph S. Shoemaker, a minister ordained in 1892, was a member of various Mennonite Church boards. He traveled to India in 1910 to visit missions there. Since that time FMC has had a strong interest in missions. FMC has participated in Mennonite Central Committee meat canning since 1951.